WayOut, which was first established by Cobaw in 2002, promotes the rights, mental health and wellbeing of same sex attracted, intersex, bisexual, transgender and gender diverse (LGBTIQA+*) young people and families in the Macedon Ranges and Sunbury.
WayOut is funded by the Victorian Government’s Department of Health as part of the Healthy Equal Youth (HEY) partnership which has been running for 10 years.
Since April 2022, through VicHealth’s The Big Connect as part of their Future Healthy initiative, we have been able to extend our LGBTIQA+ program for young people to Sunbury.
WayOut focuses on health promotion, community capacity building and development, youth participation, leadership and design. The model involves young people forming partnerships to implement change in their local communities.
WayOut provides a range of services including:
- Support and referral for individuals, their families and friends
- Providing information and education for professionals – including teachers and health care professionals, youth services and community organisations
- Facilitating the House of Awesome youth group in the Macedon Ranges
- Co-facilitating the Glitter youth group in Sunbury in partnership with Hume City Council Youth Services
- Organisation and delivery of community events – see our ‘what’s new‘ page for upcoming events
- Running Planet GAGA (Gender Affirming Games and Activities)
Follow WayOut onFacebook
Parents Empowering Rainbow Kids (PERK)
Are you the parent of a young person who identifies as LGBTIQA+? Would you like to connect with other parents in the Macedon Ranges and neighbouring shires? Parents Empowering Rainbow Kids (PERK) aims to connect with and provide support and information for parents and carers of LGBTIQA+ young people in a safe, supportive and non-judgmental environment. PERK meets quarterly on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening from 5.30-7.00pm. Meetings are held in March, June, September and November at a variety of venues in the Macedon Ranges as determined by the group.
For further information on WayOut’s programs and events, contact us:
* lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, asexual and sexualities and genders other than heterosexual and cisgender.
Sunbury and Cobaw Community Health acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.